Free-Motion Quilting with Angela Walters: Choose & Use Quilting Designs on Modern Quilts
Popular machine quilter Angela Walters will motivate you to try something new! Learn to stitch her fresh continuous-line designs on your longarm or domestic machine. Includes step-by-step instructions for continuous-line swirls, circles, squares, vines, arcs, and points. Using basic free-motion skills you already have, discover how to approach quilting a modern quilt by working with bold fabrics and negative space, uniting a variety of shapes, and blending designs. Draw inspiration from striking pictures of 20 modern quilts showing Angela’s designs. You’ll love her practical advice for choosing the perfect pattern to give your modern quilt maximum impact.
The New Western Garden Book: The Ultimate Gardening Guide (Sunset Western Garden Book)
As surely as gardens change with the seasons, gardening is ever changing. New plants, techniques, materials, and lifestyles are constantly broadening the choices you have and reshaping the way you garden in the West. In response to this natural evolution, the editors of Sunset-the West's most trusted source of gardening information for more than 80 years-have completely redesigned and updated The Western Garden Book in this new 2012 Ninth Edition. Following the best-selling success of the previous editions of The Western Garden Book, this edition includes a fresh new look, thousands of color photographs, fresh illustrations, and an easy-to-follow format. Written by experts for gardeners in the West, this book is an indispensable reference for beginning and expert gardeners alike.
The New Western Garden Book features include:
- A photo gallery shows the West's most innovative gardens, from all-edibles front yards to stylish water-wise and fire-wise gardens to living walls and green roofs-all with ideas you can use.
- Climate Zone Maps and growing-season graphs for all regions of the West including Alaska and Hawaii.
- A new "Plant Finder" section helps you choose plants for their garden's problem areas or for special effects.
- "A to Z Plant Encyclopedia" lists some 8,000 plants that thrive in the West, including more than 500 new ones. Gorgeous color photographs illustrate all plant entries-for the first time ever in The Western Garden Book.
- "Gardening From Start to Finish" is a new visual guide that leads readers through all steps of making a garden, from soil prep through planting, growing and care, with special sections on natives, veggies, grasses and more.